November 1, 2012

Who Puts Carpeting Over Hardwood? Oh Wait...

As we completed our first walk-through of the house, I was curious as to why only one room on the 2nd floor had carpeting. After ripping up the carpeting once the home was ours, I saw why. Years of neglect and bad patch-jobs of the wood left the floor looking pretty sad. The previous owners must have thought they had no other choice but to put carpeting over the top of it.


This blurry picture was a snapshot taken from a video I took 
of our first walk-through of the house. 


I only have the above picture of the carpeting. I was too excited to rip it up before I realized that I had completely forgotten to take a before picture!

I started in one corner of the room. I got a corner of the carpeting pulled up, and as I peeled it back, the lovely green-and-yellow speckled carpet pad greeted my eyes. After getting a large section of the carpeting pulled back, I got to work with the razor knife. I wanted to cut the carpeting up into smaller pieces so they'd be easier to carry out to the curb.

Carpet fibers flew every which way, and before I knew it, the carpeting was rolled up and gone! Then I made short work of the carpet pad and those pesky carpet staples.

Clearly, the floor had seen its better days...

The Shop Vac was used to vacuum up pieces of carpet pad and staples. 
What a mess!

There must have been a radiator or a floor vent in this room before, too, because here's a patch of newer flooring that was put in where a hole must have been:

A new patch of flooring.

While we had Ralph's Hardwood at our house working on our other big flooring project, we decided we'd have them tackle this room too.

The floor post-sanding and pre-finishing.


I was really pleased with how beautifully it turned out!