November 14, 2012

A New Coat of Paint: My Sewing Room

Before we found this house, we weren't really in the market to buy a different one. We were actually thinking of starting to look for some wooded land outside the city to build a dream house, complete with a nice big kitchen, a cozy library, and a room just for me to be able to do my sewing and other crafty stuff.

Lo and behold, this home fell into our laps, and my dreams of having my own workroom were all but gone... until we started figuring out what all of the rooms would be used for. The dining room was obvious, considering both its proximity to the kitchen and the chandelier. The same went for the kitchen and the four bathrooms. The rest of the rooms, however, could be whatever we wanted them to be!

I've always wanted my bedroom to be in a turret, so that determined where our bedroom would be. We wanted the baby to have his room near ours, so that solved that one. We had another entire bedroom set for our guest room, but it wouldn't fit up the stairs to the third floor, so we had to have that on the second floor as well. This left me with a choice between the last two rooms on the second floor, neither of which had closets. I chose the smaller of the two, mainly because of its relatively square shape. The other room is more conducive to be used as a playroom for all of the future Lenz kids.

Once I decided that this room would be the home to my sewing machine, my yarn bins, and the plethora of other crafts odds and ends, I got right down to business. The first task was to take up the carpeting and get the floor refinished. After that was accomplished, we were able to schedule painters to come out and brighten the room up a bit!

The original paint color was a peachy-tan color. Not what I had in mind for a room that I'd be spending a lot of time in, so I decided to go with a light lavender color. The color in the photos looks a little darker than it turned out. The crown molding and ceiling are both white, even though they look lavender in the picture. It was a bright sunny day when I took the pictures, and there was clearly some reflection going on!

The original color.




After getting it painted! It's not that dark in real life.

We got our paint for the kitchen, my workroom, and the 2nd floor bathroom at Parker Paint in Green Bay.